We offer FREE USPS shipping on all US orders!
Sock Dreamers are a dedicated bunch! People often work here for many years and learn many different positions in the sock world. From time to time, however, someone will leave us to follow their own dreams in the wide, wild world. That’s when we get to hire brand new Sock Dreamers, which we have just had the pleasure of doing!
One of the rites of passage for any new Dreamer is learning to fold socks. All of our house-brand Dream Stockings and Dreamer Socks have a different kind of fold, and it’s important for new employees to learn them all.
The end product is described by our Stock Room manager and resident blogstress, the loverly Miss Brenna, as a “sock brick”: no loose ends popping out, heel and toes tucked into the folds, with a pleasing aesthetic in every pair.
Class was conducted today for our new Dreamers. A variety of different socks were paraded through our Project Room, with labels, bits of yarn, and tagging guns to boot– all for the purposes of beginning to learn the product in a hands-on way!
Every year in July, in the woods of Mt. Pisgah, the Fae family gathers to celebrate magic, music, and the culture of imagination. This weekend from July 26th-28th, Sock Dreams will be in the midst of fire twirling, belly dancing, yummy food, breweries, bands, pirates, faeries, pixies, and sprites– selling socks and giving out stickers! This is Sock Dreams’ second time at Faerieworlds; we vended for their very first year, and we can’t wait to see how far they’ve come.
Faeries come in many shapes and temperaments, from the celestial to the sinister, and we’ve got socks and stockings for them all! Our Dream Stocking M Stripes will feature predominately in our stock for this event, because of the variety of colors the stripes come in, the variety of sizes they fit, and with our event discount, these fantastic stripes are a great price.
Since the event is no doubt going to be a color feast for the eyes, we’re also bringing our brand new Tie Dyed Ripple OTKs to add our own splash, as well as several other tie dyed delights, all hand dyed by Love Lite Precision Tie Dye!
We’ll also be doing another gift card giveaway at our booth. Each day of the event (Friday/Saturday/Sunday), the first six people to say the magic words at our booth will get a FREE Sock Dreams gift card! The amount on the card could be $5, or $10, or even $20– it’ll be a surprise! There will be new magic words each day, so be sure to check back here.
Sunday’s magic words are Queen Mab.
Our booth number is D04; it’ll be the one with a pirate handing out Sock Dreams stickers. So if you are in the realm of the Fae this weekend, stop by our booth!
And now, a special message from our shipping team!
We at Sock Dreams send a lot of warm, comfy, snuggly socks across the globe each year. The majority of those packages find their welcoming homes with no problems. Unfortunately, some packages fall through the cracks and acquire what we call “Delivery Errors”. Most of these are easily remedied, as the packages are returned to us marked with clues as to what went wrong. However, some packages with “Delivery Errors” suffer the dreaded fate of having been “Delivered” according to their tracking information, and yet are unreceived by the addressee. What little we can do for these packages lessens with the passage of time, which is why we are announcing a change in policy.
Starting today, all requests for reimbursement for lost or stolen parcels MUST be made within 60 days of the shipment date. Furthermore, we can no longer be held responsible for replacing or refunding domestic orders that have “Delivery Errors” unless either Signature Confirmation or Insurance were added during checkout.
Confirmation emails with tracking numbers are sent out automatically with every processed order; packages can then be tracked at www.USPS.com. If you find distressing or erroneous updates as you track the progress of your order*, please contact us, either by emailing email@example.com, or by calling our toll-free customer service number: 888.717.6257
* Note that Standard International shipping does not include tracking service, but may receive sporadic updates. Please be patient if you select this option!
Some ways to reduce the chances of your order having “Delivery Errors” are:
- Double-checking addresses, both shipping and email
- We have seen many weird addresses come through our system, and we have found that the number-one culprit is a browser’s auto-complete function, which may replace what you’ve just written with something else entirely.
- If there is an error in the email address connected to your order, then the confirmation email with your tracking number will not be received.
- Making sure the addressee on a package is currently connected to the shipping address.
- This is usually only an issue when dealing with apartment complexes, as the addressee may not be reflected on the door buzzer, mailbox, or lease. This can easily be cleared up with the inclusion of a “C/O John Doe” in the address, where John Doe is a known resident. We also see this issue before, during, or after a move, when mail forwarding can interfere with delivery.
- Including a message for the mail carrier in the “order notes” section of checkout
- Do you have the perfect space for a package to be left where prying eyes will not see? Would you rather have your package left with a mail room, front office, or neighbor? We can include your brief notes with special instructions for the mail carrier on your order’s shipping label.
- Adding Signature Confirmation and/or Insurance
- We love being able to offer a Free Shipping option for our U.S. customers, but it is not always the most reliable method of delivery! You may have noticed two new options on the shipping selection page during checkout: Signature Confirmation and Insurance. Either option greatly reduces the risk of your order’s loss to “Delivery Errors”. While they do require some minor additional payment, combining both options is usually still cheaper than standard domestic shipping costs and provides peace of mind for your shipment.
As always, if you have any questions about this change in policy or anything else, please contact us and we’ll be happy to help!
Here at Sock Dreams, we associate with all sorts of costumed characters. From anime to morning cartoons, super heroes and villains to steampunk, Star Trekkers to pirates, the sultry and the silly– we be-sock them all!
Although we receive a TON of orders during the Halloween season, in an age of cosplay, we are constantly getting orders and emails asking us to advise on the proper sock for all of folks’ costuming needs. Here are a few examples of socky suggestions we have made!
Pirates: Our favorite pirates are the members of PDX Yar! They’ve done videos with us, performed for our Halloween parties, and are some of our biggest fans. For pirate socks, we recommend the Dream Stalker Stripes and Extraordinary Stripes. The two colors that are most popular with this crew are red and black for the Extraordinaries, and dirt and blood for the Stalkers– no surprise there!
Super Heroes and Villains: In Portland, we have The Alter Egos Society to take the reins on fighting and committing crimes, and there are super groups all over the country who help their home cities– groups like The Rain City Super Hero Movement in Seattle, or The Black Monday Society in Salt Lake City. For these groups, we recommend our N40s and N Stripes. These mostly-nylon socks come in several bright and bold colors, including royal and a terrific purple, as well as some POWerful stripes.
Star Trekkers: The two new Star Trek movies have created a renewed interest in the shows. We’ve been seeing more folks at cons wearing their Start Fleet uniforms, and in our own city, Atomic Arts does a live performance of an original series episode. For your Trek cosplay needs, we recommend the tried-and-true O Basics, which come in red, royal, and gold, as well as purple, hunter, and teal for your Deanna Troi costuming needs.
We’re always interested to hear what socks you use for your costuming on our Tumblr, Facebook and Twitter pages, and we have lots of costume-related posts in our Sock Journal as well! Happy cosplaying!!!
As I sit here in the Sock Dreams HQ making an order for this weekend’s event (Gear Con, which takes place at the Portland DoubleTree Hotel, July 5th-7th), I ponder this question: what is a Steampunk?
The simple answer is that Steampunk is a sub genre of Science Fiction that is heavily inspired by the Victorian age of England and the Industrial Revolution. Think Jules Verne, Robert Lewis Stevenson, H.G. Wells, H.P. Lovecraft and a pinch of Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle. A more complicated answer is that it’s an idea of an alternative time period that is based on science playing a larger role in the Victorian age; a fantastical world where men and women walk around in the lovely clothes of the period, with wondrous devices made of brass, that work with intricate gears and other moving parts.
The fashion is an enormous part of this culture: corsets, bustles, hats, boots, large skirts, ascots, waist coats, and of course socks, stockings, and garters. We will be attending Gear Con this weekend with another Sellwood neighborhood shop, Wells and Verne. While they’re decking folks out with custom suits and dresses, we will be adorning feet with all the classiest bits and bobs!
We have an entire category on our website called Victoriana, just for your Steampunk needs! This category is filled with lovely lacy things, dapper socks, and sturdy garters. We will be bringing many of these items to Gear Con, along with a selection of our appropriately-hued Dream Stockings and Dreamer Socks at our discounted event prices.
Here’s to a Steamy weekend!!!